a must-read blog of a simple college guy who dreaming big in life. his blog deals with talks about sports, entertainment, food, travel and his personal life. - It started as a hobby until it become part of his life.

SEARCH THIS BLOG!

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Rafa Nadal crushes Tommy Robredo to reach US Open semifinals

World No.2 Rafael Nadal produced an almost frightening display to rout fellow Spaniard Tommy Robredo in just one hour and 34 minutes to charge into the US Open semi-finals Wednesday night. Extending his 2013 hard-court winning streak to 20 matches, Nadal defeated Robredo 6-0, 6-2, 6-2.

Rafa Nadal crushes Tommy Robredo to reach US Open semifinals
It was the fewest games in a US Open quarter-final since Ivan Lendl's defeat of Derrick Rostagno 6-2, 6-2, 6-0 in 1988.

Robredo came into the match playing arguably the best tennis of his career, and following a straight-sets defeat of 17-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer two days earlier. But Nadal conceded just five points in the opening set, which he won in just 22 minutes.

Robredo saved one match point with a passing forehand winner, before sending a forehand long to concede the match.

"I think I played my best match of the US Open this year," Nadal said in an on-court interview. He believes the opening set was his first this season at 100 per cent. "I am very happy with the way that I moved myself on court, very happy that the way I hit my forehand and my backhand especially."

"Today I played much closer [to] the way that I want to play, playing more aggressive," said the 2010 champion. "When I had the forehand, I was able to change the direction a lot of times and with a lot of precision. I'm sure that's the way I have to play to keep having chances to be successful [on] every surface, but especially on this one," said the Mallorcan.

The left-hander won 15 of 16 points at the net and won 86 per cent of first serve points, compared to Robredo's 59 per cent.


"I started a little bit tight, and he was up very quick. Then [there] was nothing else to do, he was too good," said Robredo. "I wasn't able to get into the rhythm... and he was hitting very, very fast and with a lot of confidence."

Nadal remains unbroken for the tournament, holding 67 service games. He has won 27 of his past 28 matches against fellow Spaniards, and lifted his FedEx ATP Head2Head lead over Robredo to 7-0.

Nadal will take No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings if he wins the title and Novak Djokovic does not reach the final.

He next faces eighth seed Richard Gasquet, over whom he holds a commanding 10-0 win-loss record. "He's a nice guy... one of the players on the tour that I feel closer [to] because we are [of] the same age," said the Spaniard. "I don't play great match against Richard, I will see the final on TV," he joked.

The second seed believes the Frenchman will be full of confidence, following tough five-set wins over Milos Raonic and David Ferrer. "He's playing a great tournament... [If] I keep [playing like] today, I hope to have my chances.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is valuable. Share your thoughts. Ask and I Will Reply.

ShareThis